Pages

Monday, February 27, 2012

Not Messages, Conversations

Last week, I traveled to Lubbock, Texas for the 2012 National Agricultural Communicators of Tomorrow Professional Development Conference. (That's why we hashtagged it as #2012ACTPDC - even that's a mouthful.)

While I was there, we toured a denim mill - did you know that there are only 4 denim mills in the whole United States? Did you also know that the plant I visited is the only one that puts threads of spandex in womens' jeans, to give them the traditional stretch? I didn't. I also learned that jeans selling for $250 in stores often cost companies less than $3.50 to make. Kind of makes me want to buy raw denim and make my own pants. 


Hagrid's pants. That hanger is four feet wide.

We also toured a yet-unopened museum, the National Agriculture Museum. While it was mostly equipment (including a lot of Allis Chalmers and a few Olivers), there were some interesting pieces to see. For example…


A goat treadmill. Kid you not. (No pun intended.)

But I think one of the most interesting things of the whole trip was the last presentation. I've been focusing most of my farm-related blog posts around why we do what we do, because I thought it was the most important message. As it turns out, recent studies have proven that that is the wrong approach. 

Consumers respond to people, not propaganda. They want to hear our story, not our farm's story. We need to break out of traditional means of communication - it's not about messages, it's about conversations. 

So here's my conversation, to you - and feel free to ask questions in the comments. I am a farmer because it's what I love to do. I will be a fourth-generation dairy farmer, and I'm proud of that. I have enjoyed growing up on a farm, and my college education will allow me to be successful in what I love doing. I hope that some day, my children will be fifth-generation farmers, and carry on our family legacy. 

What's your conversation? 

No comments:

Post a Comment