Pages

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

It's Elementary, Dairy Industry

So one of the things I most worry about is how we as agriculturalists are going to maintain a positive image for consumers.


I think I may have found a solution - elementary education.

My old FFA chapter used to do "Food For America" presentations to local third-graders, where members visited area schools and brought along a "petting zoo". There were coloring packets, activity books, and a video was shown, all the while talking to students and answering questions about agriculture.


Recently, I had the opportunity to visit three area schools while on Spring Break. I ordered materials from the American Dairy Association (checkoff dollars!), and received a poster, pencils, those rubbery cow erasers, magnets, and pens.


Over the course of two days, I talked to around 160 third-graders, telling them about life on a dairy farm and showing them a very old video called "Moo to You". (When I say old, I mean old - this was the same video my mom showed my third-grade class when she did presentations. But the kids love it...it's a cute video, although a little outdated now.)


I loved talking to the kids and answering their questions, but possibly the most worthwhile experience I had was at the second school I visited. 


"You guys drink milk from Smith Dairy here, right?" I asked, and the kids nodded. 


"Well, we ship our milk to Smith Dairy. So there's a really good chance that the milk you drink at lunch comes from our farm."


A chorus of "cool"s rose from the crowd of students, and surprisingly, from the teachers as well.


"That's...that's really neat," said one of the teachers, and it threw me for a minute. I realized that not only was I talking to third-graders, but to their teachers as well.


One of the biggest issues that agriculture faces is communication - consumers having a knowledge of where their food comes from.


That ten-second exchange forged a relationship between myself and those teachers, and that's probably one of the most important relationships one can make. 


The next time that teacher goes to the store and picks up a gallon jug of Smith's milk, she will know where that milk is coming from. She has a personal connection with a producer, rather than seeing a faceless farmer on a commercial.


Now, that's not saying that the current efforts are bad - the videos produced by Ohio Dairy Farmers and Monsanto are wonderful ideas. But I think we need to take it a step further.


Instead of just making the videos, make appearances. Farmers, be available to consumers to answer questions personally. Reach out to people! 


One of the best ways to start a conversation is for you to start a conversation. Don't wait until an issue is raised and then defend your stance - bring it up and be ready to answer questions. 


Youth, I highly suggest starting a "Food For America" program, or a similar endeavor, for your local schools. I think you'll find that not only are you educating kids, but that you are educating adults - and those are the people making the decisions when it comes to grocery shopping. 


Above all else, communicate. The issue is becoming far too pressing to ignore it any longer. There are questions out there that people are asking, and they're not getting the responses they need. 


Texas Farm Bureau has a program called "Tabletop Discussions" (tabletop.texasfarmbureau.org). There are people searching the forums and discussions, answering questions about agriculture, food production, and animal farming. 


The US Farmers and Ranchers Alliance (usfraonline.org) has similar forums, and are a great resource for anyone looking to join in on conversations or learn more about agriculture. 


I have joined in these discussions, and find that the people asking questions really are looking for answers - not just looking to reaffirm already negative beliefs. It's interesting to watch the conversations progress.


I've started a conversation.


Will you?

No comments:

Post a Comment